17 August 2015

Google and the Brussels Bureaucrats

I generally use my Monday blog posts to develop a series on a theme that can't be handled by one or two posts. Two months ago I suspended a series on 'Going Mobile', last seen in

to explore 'Early Chess on the Internet'. This was first covered in

then expanded to a half-dozen more specific posts on chess engines:-

Now I have to return to the same sort of web site maintenance that I did for the 'Going Mobile' series, once again dictated by Google policies.

Dear Publisher, We want to let you know about a new policy about obtaining EU end-users' consent that reflects regulatory and best practice guidance. It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers, and DoubleClick Ad Exchange.

'EU' stands for 'European Union', where I happen to reside, giving me a second reason to pay attention. If you search on one of the phrases from that excerpt, e.g. 'We want to let you know about a new policy', you'll find plenty of discussion on the subject.

No comments: